Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dear Chase CEO

Chase Bank
James Dimon
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
270 Park Avenue, 39th Floor
NY, NY 10017

Dear Mr. Dimon

I have been a banking customer at Chase since 1998 (13 years). I had a service fee show up on my account on 3/16/11. On Monday, 3/21 I called the original location (Hikes Point) where I signed up for my account and spoke with Joe. He assured me that the fee was an error and I was “grandfathered” in to an old program that Chase had called “Workplace checking”. He took my work and home number and said his manager was in a meeting but that he would get the refund approved and call me back. I never received a call back.

The next day I called again and asked to speak to Joe. He came on and I said that I assumed he was busy and was calling to remind him in case he didn’t get the credit applied. He informed me that the program that I was “grandfathered” into had been changed and now there was a minimum requirement of $500 in one deposit to have a free account. I asked him if the grandfather had died because I thought that being grandfathered into a program means that the program doesn’t change. He said that I would not be getting a refund of my $12, I had to come in to renegotiate a new plan and the manager was out of the office until Monday. I asked to speak to the assistant manager and she told me she could not do anything either.

I went to the offices on Westport Road and spoke to a manager there. She had another person sitting beside her observing. I explained to her everything that happened and asked her again if I could get a refund of the $12 and continue with my original account that I have had for 13 years. I was told I could not.

I hate to leave Chase, but I guess my business is not worth it to you. So, I will be leaving Chase and you can be sure that I will never recommend your company to anyone. I got my sister, my children and others to bank at your bank because I was so pleased with the years of good service.

The most ironic thing is, you will give your customers up to $5000 in matching deposits and yet you will not refund and honor a grandfathered program of a long term customer. Also, I receive so many mailers about how you will give people $100 to be a Chase banker. Well, I will make sure that any questions I have about chase will be greeted with your refusal to return my $12 and honor your “grandfathered” programs.


Thank you for listening as I get this off my chest and have a great day. I hope that you have fun chasing your customers out the door.

UPDATE: 3/30/11 - I got a call from the Chase Executive Offices today at around 1:00 p.m. They apologized that the branches would not give me a refund of my $12.00. Also, they said my letter would be in a database file for customer issues. They said that the monthly fees were a new policy and they would not be honoring any old policies and that the fee would apply to all future months if I did not meet the qualifications on the account.

This is a good effort on Chase's part. I appreciate their follow up. I will still be leaving the bank as I do not qualify for any of their accounts without a fee. It seems the "not monetarily wealthy" individual is of little consequence to Chase and they are very much looking out for their bottom line. I hope only the monetarily wealthy individuals grace your doorsteps from now on. Us little poor people will find a home somewhere. I do really appreciate getting my $12 back. Thank you Chase for your quick follow up and for the $12 bucks. I'll have a couple of lunches on you. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, the "big banks" and corporations will take as much as they can from us... apologies and refunds are not enough because look at all the millions who don't have time or energy to complain and just keep getting robbed. I recently lost my job and because I don't deposit enough money now they have charged me $6. Thank you very much for kicking me while I'm down... I will close the account tomorrow.